Back!

Been a while. A long while. To be honest, I haven't really clicked with the whole blogging thing. For fourteen years from 1988-2002, I kept journals. Paper and ink. Where you actually write things with your hands. I kind of miss it as there is a certain rythym to writing by hand that you just don't get on an iPad or iPhone. Also, when I wrote in a journal, it was private, and I let my thoughts fly. I didn't hold back. With a blog, I feel I am constantly censoring myself, as it is so much more public. Guess it takes a bit to get used to.

The other issue is when I wrote in journals, I was living the crazy life, constantly travelling and getting into insane situations and adventures. I'm now a single dad raising a twelve-year-old girl since she was two. My life is mostly sedate and routine. Home every night. Up early every morning. Seems like all I have to comment on are news events I read about or see on TV. 

But my novel and short story writing, after a long 14-year break, are going great and kicking into high gear. I'm having a blast writing again, my favorite moments spending a couple of hours in the evenings, sitting on my patio, an electric fan tacked to the brick wall blowing down on me in my wicker rocking chair, iPad on a lap desk, mosquito coils burning, and thick woods in front of me. In those moments, my mind often feels crystal clear, like I have a static-free connection to the muse.

So for now, I'll take that and run with it...

Comments

Popular Posts