Strange Days...

Strange days indeed.

Notwithstanding the impending swearing-in of one snake oil salesman named DJT, I saw in the news today (was it real? was it fake? what is the difference anymore?) that the military is developing biodegradable bullet casings, that can actually sink into the ground and grow plants or be eaten by animals. So this takes the old phrase "turning swords into plowshares" in new directions. You shoot and kill someone, but you grow a shrub or feed a roaming cow or pig at the same time. Wouldn't that be interesting if this became the law? That all bullets had to be so. You spray down a family reunion in a park but re-plant that fading grass. You roam through remote villages in Africa, warlords with their AK-47 - armed child soldiers slaying the peasants, but giving those packs of skinny goats something good to munch on.

Where are we really heading? For myself, as I close in on the half-century mark, and I as I look at my days spent as a single dad raising my 12 -year -old daughter, I find it (life, the world) all so bizarre, and fraying at the edges faster than I would have thought I'd see in my lifetime. I'm not a pessimist, mind you. I'm usually a "glass-half-full" kind of person, and on a day to day basis, like most I move around the clock face at a normal clip, my head is not down, I'm not staring at my shoe tips, a dark cloud doesn't hang over my head. But still, there are those moments (that seem to be happening more and more lately) when you just stop and look around and wonder: "WTF is really going on?"


Comments

Popular Posts